- They grow up and shock you. Kid#1 henceforth known as Puttaparthi waley Sai Baba ka 2nd avatar decided he was too old for cake and party. I know you are an atheist and will find the comparison odious, but with that hair and saint-like attitude, you have to believe you are in the running. You’re better looking and so you win, anyway. Of course your Mom wouldn’t mind it at all if Rolexes and gold coins materialized out of thin air.
- If one assumes saintly postures and says he does not want birthday parties, he or she should not be born in the Lalit household. Kid#1 : I have had thirty or so birthdays. Come on, I am too old for a party.Mother : (To Kid#2) WTF! I have never felt too old for a party. He makes me feel old.Kid#2 : I’ll get the cakeMother : I’ll cook him a feast.
So mother gets into the kitchen, son junior makes hay while he can and invites all of his own friends for a party, since son senior is acting like he attained sainthood and does not need one. What? It is time-honoured tradition of younger siblings and friends to make merry at the expense of the older ones … Meri yaar ki shaadi hai = Merey bhaiyya ka birthday hai.
All we need is a parchment and a wand to point at it and to say “Mischief managed.”
- Never ever ever EVER ever ever allow your bread pudding, baked so lovingly compete with store bought pineapple cake. It will lose. Though I must say that our guests enjoyed it the next day. It was polished off for breakfast.
- Oh, if you like the looks of my bread pudding, the recipe is on my cooking blog, http://cookingisfunblogdotcom.wordpress.com/2014/04/19/bread-and-apple-pudding/ Shameless blog plug, but then We-are-like-this-only
- Spent the evening after office baking the bread pudding and the next day cooking lunch. Son was surprised, because I hadn’t done this in his day for a long time. I was surprised and embarrassed when he said so, and then wisdom dawned. It hasn’t been this pleasant in April for a long time. I am maternal and all that – only if the weather is pleasant and all is well with my world heh! Ghor Kaliyug!
- If you eat more carbs in a day than you have had in the past four months, your system will go into shock. The stomach will decide that the front office has gone insane and will shut down, leaving you feeling bloated and gassy. Just hang in there, no need to call the plumber to clean the pipes. Things will normalize in a day or two.
- One needs young people around. Just having them around makes an old woman like me feel invigorated enough to blog again.
- I am old, my son is older than what my stubborn mind thinks is my age. Gulp! Yes, I am a happy giggly teen in my mind and that is older than both my sons. When did this happen?
- Home cooked food wins over all the restaurants on speed dial, hands down.
- I should have had more kids, there would be more birthdays to celebrate.
I know Kid#1, this blog post was more about me than you … but then you do have a drama queen for a Mom. Happy birthday, darling. May all your dreams come true.